If you have a High Index of Suspicion COVID specimen that requires urgent pick-up for delivery to the laboratory – phone your local laboratory and advise them that you require an urgent pick-up.
Provide the laboratory with the following details:
- Your name and contact number
- The name and address of the practice
- The name of the referrer
- Patient details
- Clinical details
The practice must ensure they have the specimen ready for pick-up in a suitable transport container to ensure privacy and IPC requirements.
The laboratory provides this urgent service with the following restrictions:
- Clinical details as per protocol for HIS are required on the request form so requests can be appropriately identified and managed in the laboratory
- The laboratory will determine if a laboratory courier is due at that medical centre within the next 15-30 minutes AND will arrive at the laboratory within the hour
- If a courier pick-up cannot get the specimen to the laboratory within the hour a taxi will be booked
- The laboratory will notify, by phone, the person requesting the urgent pick up what arrangements have been made
- If the specimen does not meet the requirements of a HIS or has not been requested by Public Health or the Clinical Microbiologist the laboratory will decline an urgent pick-up. You will be notified by phone. You can speak to the person declining the urgent pick-up.
- For practices outside city/local boundaries contact your local lab to find out courier times and to make suitable arrangements with the Lab Manager, on-call Scientist (out of hours) and Public Health to ensure specimen transport and testing is arranged within an acceptable time-frame and cost.
For more information contact Gayleen Parslow – HOD Microbiology at firstname.lastname@example.org